Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Guide To Successful Camping With A Beagle Tips And Tricks Learned Over The Years

A Guide To Successful Camping With A Beagle
Tips And Tricks Learned Over The Years
Its camping season and the wilds are calling your name loudly. I look forward to late spring because in my mind that is the start of camping season for me and my dogs.
Some people look forward to opening day for hunting, and some people look forward to opening day for fishing, but with me I looked forward to the longer milder days of spring and then the hotter days of summer and autumn that follow. This to me always says getting away for a few days every month, and spending that time camping in a wilderness park with my Beagle dog Oakie.
I have had many dogs over the years and all have been my companion on camping trips. Each dog had its own particular qualities that either suited very well the wilderness experience, or were more of a handful than what I was expecting. When I choose a Beagle I was particularly looking for a breed that would be considered “outdoorsy” and that would be hardy enough to take the spills and thrills of living in the wilderness for a few days a month, from spring until late autumn. Having had the experience of camping with other dog breeds, I was ahead of the game in terms of knowing some of the things to expect, and what I could do about it.
Because I am a city dweller, then when I get away for my few days of camping, I really want to get away, and that to me is camping in remote spots that do not attract a lot of people, and are spare in conveniences and comforts. I usually like to go to a high country location and that in itself can present some challenges to both dog and man. So let me share some tips and advice that may help you to have the experience that you are seeking for you and your dog.
How To Prepare.
A good general never goes into battle without preparing, otherwise he is setting up for defeat. I prepare over the long winter months by building some stamina and endurance into my dog by going on long walks over varying terrain, each subsequent walk a little longer than the previous one. This way I am building strong muscle structure on the dog, and stamina for the long distance. I also walk the dog on a fixed leash that is fifty feet long, as this is my preferred leash to use when I am hiking with the dog on camping trips. I have Oakie checked out by the Vet to make sure that he does not have any underlying medical issues that might be a concern. So, this is important to do, go to your Vet and have the animal fully checked over just to make sure that he is in good condition and able for the adventure.
What To Pack.
My philosophy is to pack as light as possible. I have learned this over many years. The idea of wilderness camping is to not try to bring every home comfort that you can think of for you and your pet, but rather to think about the minimal required for a safe and healthy trip for all.
So, let’s bring it down into its basic elements.
Shelter:
  1. All weather tent, for me and Oakie I use a six person tent, just for the extra room
  2. Warm all weather sleeping bag
  3. Ground sheet (under the tent) used as a moisture barrier between ground and interior of tent.
  4. Old sleeping bag for the dog. (Don’t laugh, otherwise the dog will climb into yours as the temperature drops during the night)
  5. Blow up air mattress for me (I like some comfort)
  6. Battery powered lamp
  7. Flashlight or two
Some dos and don’ts for the tent:
 
The most common question that I get asked is what about heating in the tent, what would I recommend? The plain answer is that I do not trust the commonly available space heaters and alcohol fueled heaters that are available for camping. I usually sit at a camp fire socializing and then when I am ready to lay down I go right to bed. I just think that is the safest option, as the risk of fire is too great. The second question that is commonly asked is what about toilet during the night for me and my dog, do you have some kind of porta-potty in the tent? The answer is no. Hence the flashlight. I go on the outside well away from the tent, otherwise again if you use the tent as a bathroom, instead of its intended purpose, which is a sleeping quarter out of the elements, then you risk so much in terms of having to deal with all of the issues that come along with human waste. What about when the dog wants to go? Luckily dogs are fairly regular for the most part in their movements, so they usually do not have to go like us humans do, during the night, but when I need to go I leash the dog up and take him outside with me. I would not leave the dog alone in the tent if I don’t have to.
Tip: Dress warm in the sleeping bag, and when you have to go, add some extra layers. Fleece lined track suits is what I usually wear, and when I need to go outside, I put on a heavy hoodie over it. Also I wear socks in the sleeping bag, so remember to have some slip-on's at the door of the tent, do not walk around in the dark on the outside in bare feet or stocking feet, it’s too dangerous.
Food:
 
For myself and any human companions that I am with I pack mostly dry foods, and canned foods and plenty of fruit. I carry my own drinking water supply using the campsite water for cleaning purposes only. For the dog I bring a small amount of dry food, but mostly canned wet food. From experience when you are feeding your dog at the campsite, it is not like at home, where your dog can nibble at the food for a while, then leave it and come back to it later on. You must remember that you are in a wilderness area that may be frequented by wild animals. The scent of processed food will carry a long distance, and you may end up with some unwanted visitors like Bears raiding your campsite.
I feed Oakie dry food at home, but when camping I want him to eat the entire meal at one sitting, so from experience I have found that mixing some dry food through a gravy rich canned wet food is quiet the treat for him and he wolfs it all down.
Tip: You cannot let any food exposed to the air for too long due to the scent attracting wild animals into the camp. So, wet food does the trick for me and my dog.
Store food in plastic containers with a tight fitting lip, then place the containers into a large cooler, then store this cooler inside your car or truck, usually in the back seat, or trunk of a car if it will fit.
Tip: Cover the cooler with a blanket or throw if the back seat is the only place you can store it. Bears have learned the shape of coolers and learned to associate a cooler as a food source, so if it is covered then they cannot identify it by sight and may just pass on by to the next easier food opportunity.
Tip: Use paper disposable plates and bowls, including the bowl you feed the dog from. Immediately dispose of them in the assigned animal proof trash bins that are usually found in the campsite. That way you reduce the scent of food and reduce the possibility of unwanted visits by wild animals.
Water:
 
Do not leave water out for the dog while you are in the campsite, wild animal’s snakes and insects are attracted to fresh water sources just like food, so I usually give Oakie a drink in a collapsible bowl, and when he has had his fill, I throw out any remaining water. For hiking I carry a collapsible water bowl for him.
 
Other essentials are:
  1. Couple of changes of clothing both for dry and wet weather
  2. A backpack
  3. Some prepacked trail snacks
  4. Some dog kibble for Oakie
  5. A harness for the dog.
  6. Some heavy cotton bath towels for me and the dog.
  7. Cooking equipment with spare gas canisters
  8. Small plastic crockery dish
  9. Couple of rolls of paper towels for drying.
  10. Non scented toiletries
  11. Basic first aid kit
  12. Radio/CD/DVD player
  13. Your favorite Jams
  14. Comfortable lounge chairs
  15. Your favorite liquid refreshment (mine is beer in cans as it cools quickly)
Basic Common Sense For the Campsite
 
Do not let the dog off the leash while in the campsite or around the campsite. They are in an unfamiliar place with lots of strange sounds and scents to deal with. They may get skittish very easily and run off. The fifty foot leash that I favor for camping serves a dual function here, as I use it as a tie out while I am in camp. That way my dog can still wander around a fifty foot radius but still remain safely tethered in case of an emergency. Do not let the dog alone in the campsite. Dogs can be an opportune and attractive prey to a wild animal or bird of prey, so basic vigilance is the common rule to employ here. At night and around the campfire, employ some common sense safety, as the dog will probably not be familiar with an open fire. While relaxing and sitting at the campfire I use this time to check Oakie for ticks. I use a hound glove to gently stroke him, but I am really looking for ticks.
 
Remove them immediately. If you are in need to snack at the campfire, I usually will do so on trial mix or something similar, in other words something that is low scent and does not require cooking or roasting or toasting.
Conclusion.
Camping with your favorite pet dog opens up a whole new exciting and exhilarating world to them and to you. The experience can lead to a lifetime of great memories and the satisfaction of enjoying an experience that too few seek out in to-days hectic world. Following the common sense practices and using your own best judgement can lead to one of the most fun trips that you can participate in with a pet. It does not have to be a high country trip, it can be to a lake, or a regional park, or a national park. It can be at a well provisioned developed camp site, but whatever way you choose to go, it is that journey that will make the experience.
Happy Camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment